Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Rotary Weekend

This last weekend has been all about Rotary. Saturday, I wen to the District President's home and made dumplings with some of the other exchange students. It was a lot of fun, we didn't spend a lot of time making dumplings, mainly we just chatted. It was great, we had so much to talk about. It helped that their were only 10 of us, 6 from the U.S., one from Canada, one from Mexico, and two from Thailand, so we were able to talk as one big group.
Sunday was Taiwan's National Day, and the exchange students in some of the districts got to be in a parade. (It was the anniversary of the day when the dynasties were overthrown in China, and a new government was formed. This is not the day Taiwan became its own country, that is Jan. 1.) I left Yuanlin at 7:30 and arrived in Taichung at 8:15. All the exchange students in my district met in Taichung, then we took the bus to Taipei. It was about a 4 hour drive, maybe a bit shorter. When we arrived in Taipei, we got of the bus and waited until the parade started. There, we met with the exchange students that are living in Taipei. It was great to see all the people I meet at the airport, and to trade stories. Taylor (from my U.S. district) was there, so we got to catch up too. When the parade finally started, everyone was already tired from the bus ride, so the 5 kilometers (about 3 miles) was a little annoying. We had a good time, and ended up in a lot of newspapers and on t.v. I took some pictures, but I haven't had time to put them on facebook yet, they will be there soon, along with the pictures of a keyboard.
Thank you everyone for your love and support. It means a lot to me that you want to know what I am doing. I'm sorry you haven't gotten any letters recently, I have been so busy. I will try to send them every 10 days or so, every week if I can. I sent one yesterday, so give it a week and it will be there. I love you all!

Zai Jian

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jenn

    Are the parades in Taiwan big and exciting like the pictures you see online? Could you post pictures of the keyboard on your blog. I'm a little leary of facebook now because I saw "The Social Network" last night. Do you ever go to movies in Taiwan?

    By the way, Mr. Long, Jason Long, Mr. Fox, Mr. Janus and Mr. Schroeder all say hi.

    How often do you get your grades at school? Our second grading period ended on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenn! sorry we weren't able to get on earlier; it's just me and Shay right now. haha we're all busy, I guess. Glad you're having fun, and the parade bit sounds cool! all right we'll try and check back in on Tues. (if it kills me! or someone else...), so have a good three days!

    Bye Jenn!

    ReplyDelete